Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:13:51 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
Cc:        "Michael L. VanLoon" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>, Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>, Karl Denninger <karl@mcs.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

"Kevin P. Neal" wrote in message ID
<1.5.4.32.19960828024552.009f2b44@interpath.com>:
> Me: Why GPL it? The BSD copyright is cool, and gives everyone more freedom
>     with the code, while still giving you credit.
>
> Reece: Because I'm afraid that the BSD copyright isn't enough to keep the
>        code from disappearing from the net.
>
> Me: When has a BSD-style copyright not been enough to keep code on the net?
>
> Reece: The original CMU AFS code had a BSD-style copyright on it. Where
>        can it be found now?

Which, to me, does NOT make sense. Since he would be the copyright
holder, it would be HIS decision to take it off the net, not someone
elses. So the code may stagnate, but no-one else could FORCE him (or
anyone else) to stop publishing the code, unless it is proven to
violate copyright (or ``intelictual property''), in which case the GPL
wouldn't help a damned bit either.

Gary