Date:      Thu, 08 May 2003 11:17:25 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: /rescue

In message <20030508165630.GA55207@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
: On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:42:06AM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > Yep, .PATH does simplify things.  Revised diff
: > attached.  Thanks for the suggestion.
:
: It was mostly decided to use /stand rather than /rescue as sticking with
: FreeBSD's 10 year precidence is better than going with NetBSD's <1 yr
: one.

We've been phasing out /stand for a long time.  What is in there now
on 5.x?  Nothing.  I killed /stand before my last installworld because
it hasn't been updated since I did the initial install on my system.
There's no reason to keep it around, and it is needlessly different
than NetBSD.

: It was also felt this patch puts way too much into /stand -- like vi
: (rather than edit) and dhclient for instance.  /stand should be just
: enough to recover a system by a *skilled* person.

I disagree.  I think it keeps a good amount of stuff in there.  Sure,
I can do an echo * rather than an ls, but the binary is so small and
disk space so cheap it makes no sense to have to force it so that only
uber-studs can use it.

<ob bikeshed>
I think we should have all the binaries in /sbin or /bin, but with an
appended -rescue.
</bikeshed>

Can we please not get into the bikesheds over this?

Warner