Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2000 14:06:14 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>, Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SysctlFS

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Kelly Yancey wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, Robert Watson wrote:
> >

> >   Maybe I am missing something obvious, but wouldn't a mount option to
> > automatically export a given filesystem to all jails do the trick? Fundamental
> > filesystems like procfs and devfs would typically be mounted with the option,
> > while others were left to per-jail individual mounts.
> >   That is, of course, assuming we had room for more MNT_* flags.
>

> jails are not 'mounted so there is no specific 'moment'
> when you should 'make your automatic mounts.
> anyhow you may have 1000 jails set up on your filesystems
> do you want to see 2000 filesystems in your mount list?

Ok,

<RANT TYPE="PIE" LOCATION="SKY">
Whilst trudging through the vfs and various filesystem codes, it seems to
me that things like procfs/devfs which are needed inside a jail/chroot
environment can be handled with *drumroll* a stacking layer of sorts.
This type of stacking layer would be a nullfs layer of sorts, except that
it is an implicit mount rather than an explicit mount. That way, all
processes which talk to say, /dev, would go through this layer which
pretty much does a nullfs thing and doesn't require you to have a devfs/
procfs/kernfs/[/usr/lib]/ mounted everywhere.
</RANT>

Ok, so it has shades of plan9. I didn't want to rant because right now
I have absolutely 0.00% code to demonstrate my idea, but I thought I might
as well throw it into the works.

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			Build a man a fire, and he's warm for the
<adrian@FreeBSD.org>		rest of the evening. Set a man on fire and