Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 18:03:17 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dave@persprog.com
Cc:        jgrosch@sirius.com, "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Printer To Get - Postscript

On May 16, Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com> wrote:
> Josef Grosch wrote:
>
> > My HP Deskjet 500 does a very nice job doing
> > postscript. apsfilter works just fine and you can spend you money
> > other thinks like hard disks :-)
> >

> Does the apsfilter work at all with newer HP printers like the 85x and
> 870?  The 500 is not made anymore.  AFAIK, neither of these printers are
> "WinPrinters".

I just printed a few pages on my new 870, and I was really
surprised to see how well it works with Ghostscript. The
printer advances paper by a few centimeters (well, say by
one inch :) per traversal of the printhead, if a B&W graphic
is sent, and while I did not actually measure the time it
takes to print a page, the speed feels much faster than that
of a 4 page per minute laser printer.

There are only three things I don't like about this printer:

1) The ink needs a few more seconds to dry, when the sheet
   has been printed.

2) Ejected sheets are not always correctly put into the output
   tray and I'm afraid of the risk of a paper jam when printing
   large files unattended, for that reason. Nothing bad has
   happened, so far, but I'd rather stay near the printer ...

3) From what I've heard, there is no documentation about high
   resolution graphics commands available for any HP printer.
   The printer's manual does not even tell about the graphic
   compression modes supported (but you can easily find them
   by trying all of them). This limits printing to 300dpi, while
   the actual physical resolution (pixel size on paper) appears
   to be better, even on plain photo-copier paper (I did not yet
   try printing on special color inkjet paper).

Anyway, if all you need is a personal printer with good print
quality and speed, then the 870 may well be for you.

Does anybody know the technical specification of the 820's GDI
interface ?

The 820 seems to be MUCH cheaper than the 870, and if it was
supported by Ghostscript, then I wouldn't mind, that it does
not accept plain ASCII text ...

Regards, STefan