Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 18:45:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        oconnorr@pharos.ucc.ie
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing FreeBSD

On Tue, 25 Feb 1997 oconnorr@pharos.ucc.ie wrote:

> I have a new PC which I am very apprehensive of messing around with  (ie
> partitioning etc.) as it is only two weeks old. I wish to install
> FreeBSD but need a few answers before I attempt anything.
>  The PC is a Gateway 2000 Pentium 200mhz MMX with a 3.8GB hard drive
> (2GB drive C, 1.8 GB drive D, Mitsumi 12X CD-ROM on drive E)
> I have 32MB's of RAM and sound card, 17" monitor etc and have Win95 on
> drive C:  .

Hm.  This presents a problem.  Your PC may be new enough, but some BIOSes
can't boot operating systems below the 1024th cylinder on a disk, about
500mb or 1gb depending on disk translation.  If you're going to clear it
all of anyway, you shouldn't have a problem, but if you are just going to
take over the 1.8gb slice then it will be a factor.

> What I want is to have is an option when I boot up to either go into
> Win95 or freeBSD Xwindows .If I was going to install FreeBSD on the PC
> from a CD-ROM would that mean erasing everything that is there at the
> moment or could I erase whats on the existing D: drive and install it
> there? Normally I would head straight into the installation but since I
> have never installed FreeBSD before and my computer costing so much I
> would be very appreciative if these questions could be answered or a
> step by step guide that I can point my web browser at to get the details
> on putting the two operating systems on one PC.

Assuming the above is OK (and there isn't any way to tell until you try
it, sorry), that would be the way to go.

Do read INSTALL.TXT and http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html
before beginning, and feel free to ask us any questions you may have.