Date:      Tue, 5 Apr 2016 15:14:29 -0700
From:      "Roger Marquis" <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: ports-mgmt/pkg

Zsolt Ero wrote:
>I don't know how those tools internally check the state of packages,
>but anyone who self manages a server usually writes a long line of
>"pkg install -y pkg1 pkg2 pkg3" in a script. I would think that 99% of
>server deployment scripts are structured like this.

This is a major headache for us as well.  What benefit is there to '-y'
failing if a package or dependency is already installed and at the current
version?  Do we want to specify something like '-Y' instead of '-y' for this
regression?  Would appreciate a revert to the previous behavior and its
addition to pkg-add.

Roger