Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 96 22:51:08 PST
From:      BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk), freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: H/W recommendation

> This isn't quite the way cache works.  A board with 512K of cache
> won't hold 512K of code, even if that were necessary -- most of the
> code in the kernel or any other large program seldom gets run.

I never stated that the cache would (or should!) hold the whole kernel.
It will, obviously, hold some data and user code.

But it's a time-tested rule of thumb that, to a first approximation,
your cache should equal the size of the kernel. (In the case of UNIX, the
kernel should be trimmed to include only the devices that are actually
present).