Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 07:46:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to modify a driver for PCI card ?

> } Would it be hard to modify the "ed" driver to take care of this,
> } and correctly recognize the PCI card ? I am quite confused on what
> } would be necessary, and if it would break anything.
>
> No, it would be a good idea to include the card
> as a supported PCI device ...

except from the location of the driver in the source tree, I cannot
tell the difference between the two things. See the lnc driver.

> You may have a look at how the bt driver deals
> with this issue: /sys/pci/bt9xx.c.
>
> All you need is a wrapper, that recognizes the
> vendor and device IDs, and call the ISA if_ed
> attach code with the port address and irq read
> from PCI configuration space registers.
>
> This has to be done for quite a number of other
> PCI cards, that emulate common ISA controllers.
> (E.g. for the Lance Ethernet driver if_lnc.c.)

yes, except that (according to the author of the if_lnc driver) some
PCI lnc chipsets (like the one I have) show up as VLB devices...

> I'd do it, if I only had the time ... :(

Common problem...

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/