Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:05:16 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read this...

On Thursday, 10 December 1998 at  7:47:48 +1100, John Birrell wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> Will someone with more courage and experiance than I please speak up about
>> this, perhaps contact sun?
>
> Please _don't_ ask Sun for anything until you have a working port on
> limited hardware. I doubt that anyone following this list would be
> prepared to spend $$$ based on what has been said so far. Those people
> who have access to Sun machines should be able to do a port with neither
> financial nor moral support from Sun. If you want this sort of support,
> you have to earn it.

I suppose I should point you people to
http://www.lemis.com/x/sunworld-bsd.html, which is a draft of an
article I've submitted to SunWorld.  This is for review only in the
present form; please don't distribute it, but I'd be interested in
comments.

One thing in particular occurred to me in this context: why does Sun
want Linux or *BSD?   On the whole, Solaris <whatever number it is
this week> is a pretty good operating system, and neither Linux nor
*BSD can equal it.  What advantage would I have running FreeBSD on my
UltraSparc?  Or should we be doing what NetBSD and OpenBSD are already
doing and running it on older (32 bit) Sparc hardware?

Greg