Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 18:21:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The new bootloader - how do you set it up?

 >> way to find out whether the new boot stages were installed? What
 >> should I be seeing with the new boot blocks?

 Mike> Remove /boot.config.  The new loader does its very best to
 Mike> look-and-feel just like the old one.

That definitely changed something. The help screen is no longer
shown. So hopefully that means that I'm using the new boot blocks.

 >> [Part of the reason I'm asking this is that I boot FreeBSD using the
 >> NT loader, and I'm not entirely certain whether I need to update the
 >> NT loader in order to get the new boot blocks running.]
 Mike> No idea.  Does the NT loader keep a copy of the first sector of the
 Mike> partition, or does it just jump there?

I checked. It copies it, so I recopied the first sector from the
FreeBSD partition.

One unexpected side effect of my setup is that when I type in "reboot"
at the /boot/loader prompt, I get sent back to the NT loader menu.

Thanks for the help.

Viren
--
Viren R. Shah {viren @ rstcorp . com}
"Never hire a ferret to do a weasel's job"