Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 1997 14:49:55 PST
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing snapshot 10/14

>   Rebuild your kernel and change the 'kernel' line to point to the proper
>   device.
>
>   You should be able to boot with the boot floppy by typing wd(2,a)/kernel
>   at any boot: prompt.

Well, I tried this...
	1) booting from the boot disk with wd(2,a)/kernel gets into
	an infinite loop error (can't find device)
	Errox: ...0x82
	2) I built my 8/14 kernel with:
config          kernel  root on wd2

Then I put it on a dos disk and did:
	fbsdboot -r -D .\kernel
and the kernel booted, and then paniced "can't mount root"

Is there a way to configure a kernel so it doesn't automatically
reboot after this panic (I don't have the time to copy the
stuff it printed out).

Doing ' ?  ' at the boot prompt on the hard disk shows a good
file list...

I'm confused at wd1 and wd2...when booting up, the kernel messages
says:
	wd0 (one type of disk)
	wd2 (another type of disk)

but at the kernel boot line I have to do:
	wd(1,a)/kernel

On a non-LBA disk, what I did was made a very small root partition on
the first drive (under 528 MB) and mode of the bsd stuff is
on the second drive:
 leisner@compaq.home;df
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
/dev/wd0a              34059   13843    17492     44%   /
/dev/wd1s4e           138463   75759    51627     59%   /usr
/dev/wd1s4f           138711   56146    71469     44%   /usr/local
procfs                     4       4        0    100%   /proc

I may stick the release on disk1...its a relatively clean system running
a combination of OS2s/win95/linux with space and partitions...but shouldn't
I be able to boot cleanly off another ide disk?

--
marty
leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com