Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:05:02 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linksys 10/100 PCMCIA Ethernet car

On 19 Jun 99, at 23:17, Preston Garrison wrote:

> Where could i find some information on  getting PCMCIA ethernet cards,
> specifically the Linksys 10/100 working under FreeBSD 3.1?

This isn't so much a FreeBSD comment as a NIC comment....

I'm using a few LinkSYS PCI cards, and I like them and recommend
them.  However, I'd suggest against using the LinkSys 10/100 cards.
Based on my good luck with the PCI cards, I got one of their PCI
cards, and found the performance leaves a lot to be desired.  It was
in my Compaq laptop for about 15 minutes before it went back to the
store.  At 100mbps, it was slower than many 10mbps ISA and PCI
cards.

The bottleneck seems to be the PCMCIA bus.  It's a slow bus.  If
you have a newer laptop that supports CardBus, look into Xircom's
Cardbus cards, or Intel's for that matter.  Xircom's are about 4x as
fast as the LinkSYS.

As always, your mileage may vary, depending on OS, drivers, and
phase of the moon.

Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day From
'The Code of The West, A Cowboy's Guide to Life' by Texas Bix Bender
The wildest critters live in the city!