Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 19:29:02 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, jeff@tad.cetlink.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TCP Tuning?

> > Just for the records... There are PCI-based ne2000 clones, which
> > sell for approx US$60 here. Programmed I/O on the PCI bus should not be
> > slow at all.
>
> Unless you compare it to DMA I/O on the same bus...  8-).

Unless you compare prices...

As I just said in reply to Garret's message, it might be a 5-10% CPU
overhead, which is perfectly tolerable for a board which costs
perhaps half as much. Not to mention the fact that in some countries
some pieces of hardware are simply not available.

On this list there are often strong statements against certain pieces
of hardware just because they don't have top performance, totally
ignoring the price factor and some technical issues.

IMHO, this is a bad thing, because people believes them blindly,
often ending up buying SCSI disks (because "IDE sucks"), with cheap
ISA-based SCSI controllers, or, worse, ISA SCSI controller with an
on-board 4MB used as a cache (so that often they end up doing
programmed I/O to read from the controller's cache!)

----
About IDE drives: I agree that they might not be the best approach
to fast file I/O, but this is what I get on a P133/32MB ram with
a WDC AC21000H 1GB IDE disk:

    diani: {21} iozone 128 8192
    Writing the 128 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp'...32.101562 seconds
    Reading the file...30.429688 seconds

    IOZONE performance measurements:
        4181034 bytes/second for writing the file
        4410749 bytes/second for reading the file

Sure, probably the system is more loaded than a SCSI thing:

    Cpu states: 0.4% user, 0.0% nice, 33.9% system, 38.5% interrupt, 27.2% idle
    Memory: 13M Act 1748K Inact 2032K Wired 80K Free

      PID USERNAME PRI NICE   SIZE   RES STATE   TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
      589 root      -6    0   240K  548K sleep   0:02 53.23% 11.79% iozone

but the savings on the SCSI stuff almost get me 16MB RAM. For a
personal workstation, and if I am on a budget, this is the way I would
go.

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/