Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:00:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        jlemon@americantv.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA Questions

> > > I finally got purchase authority to build the ultimate spam box from
> > > hell - two IDE HDs, an IDE CDROM drive, a SCSI HD and CDROM drive, all
> > > in the same box.  I'm going to load DOS and Win95 on different drives
> >
> > Build?  Just go and buy a Packard Bell computer.  That should give you a
> > pretty good start.  :-)
>
> I thought of that, but I wanted something even funkier.  Something
> which personified the very worst of every box I've seen paraded
> through this group.  Packard Bell comes amazingly close to this in an
> out-of-box configuration, I'll agree, but in the end they just weren't
> quite Funky Enough. :-)

Make sure the IDE controller does not support LBA, get a bigger than
512M IDE drive anyway, and install the OnTrack 7.x stuff to load
BIOS-based translation and LBA support onto the thing.

Oh yeah: get an IDE controller without the shift registers between the
slot and the IDE bus, and make sure it uses a CMD640b chip.  That
way it can be both electrically unreliable, and lock up when you
sneeze at it because of the channel interleave bugs on the CMD.

Also, your master drive should be non-WD, and your slave should be
WD (so that it won't even work under Win95, because WD can't make
drives that will slave for other manufacturers because the IDE spec
isn't strict enough).

Make sure you load the "standard" ATAPI drivers from one vendor, but
install the CDROM drive from another... preferrably something you buy
for $17 at www.onsale.com because the drive is one of the first 1x IDE
CDROMs ever manufactured.

Make sure that, internally, it's wired like a Micron Home MPC (ie:
the sound output from the CDROM goes through an interrupt hungry
sound card that is not quite SB compatible).

Definitely install a floppy tape drive, and if you can get one, use
the IOMega parallel to SCSI converter as your SCSI interface.

Finally, make sure you install PnP ISA cards, but that machine doesn't
have a PnP BIOS, so that the OS has to make the PnP I/O calls to get
them configured.  Be sure the thing has an onboard bus mouse port
that uses IRQ 12, and the video card outputs vertical retrace on IRQ2
so the PnP operations will stomp on these interrupts without seeing
them...

PS:	Saturn I/Neptune I/Mercury I chipset for PCI, if possible,
	so that you don't get PCI DMA cache invalidation signals;
	too bad you can have an EISA/PCI with both a bogus Intel
	chipset and the HiNT chipset -- cut the traces for memory
	bus to slot connections for data lines 25-32, if you have
	to, to get the same effect.

PPS:	Don't forget: The Pentium you install should have the FPU bug.

PPPS:	If you are running an Intel motheboard, get SIMMs with gold
	contacts; if not, get them with lead.

PPPPS:	Too bad you can't install VLB bus mastering controllers in a
	system with PCI slots... then you could really go to hell in
	a handbasket, since only one of them would require the driver
	to invalidate the DMA target cache for it because it wasn't
	in a "master" slot.

Actually, if you could get one of the original Gateway or Dell P60 boxes
with the 1G IDE drives, you'd almost have all this.  As a bonus, you'll
have some nice cooling problems with the CPU.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---