Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2009 12:20:23 -0800
From:      "David P. Discher" <dpd@bitgravity.com>
To:        Alexander Zagrebin <alexz@visp.ru>
Cc:        'Attilio Rao' <attilio@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.0-RELEASE: disk IO temporarily hangs up (ZFS or ATA related problem)

ZFS will write buffer ALOT.  Your settings of vfs.zfs.arc_min and =
vfs.zfs.arc_max will likely affect how bursty this is.  I've been =
running with Min, 32 GB arc, and see very bursty writes (of course, my =
systems have 64GB).=20

Also, use 'zpool iostat 1' and not the system iostat. Check gstat as =
well.

also try using CAM_ATA (ahci.ko) instead of ad devices, so your can get =
the benefits of tag queuing.

There is also a possible undocumented issue with, I believe it was the =
WD green drives, where the vibration of the drive actually slowed it =
down.  This was demonstrated by setting a pound or two of silly putty on =
the top of the drive, and its performance (significantly) increased.  =
Experiment with putting some heavily, non-conductive weight on top of =
each drive - a book or something.  ensure that is its securely mounted =
as well.=20

---
David P. Discher
dpd@bitgravity.com * AIM: bgDavidDPD