Date:      Sat, 20 Oct 2007 02:36:52 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        Zephiris <zephiris@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nvidia LibGL and RELENG_7 linuxulator

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 08:02:48 -0700 Zephiris wrote:

> I've been getting a rather strange issue between Nvidia driver and the
> linux compatibility.

> I've tried this with default Fedora Core 4 libraries, default 2.4 version
> emulation, 2.6.16, FC6, F7, and now Gentoo. With older Linux X11 libraries

As of 2.6.16: did you follow instructions from /usr/ports/UPDATING
while upgrade to 2.6.16?

> (eg, those from ports), anything trying to use Nvidia's libGL that
> installs into the linux compat area will crash immediately. To get this

Crash... Did you ugrade your system and may be forgot to upgrade the
port? Or did you upgrade the OS without reinstalling ports?

> working at all, I had to install the Gentoo linux dist and install with
> newer versions of everything (except glibc).

> This will get far enough that it notes things like:
> NVIDIA: Direct rendering failed; attempting indirect rendering.

> /sbin/modprobe, as per suggestions and documentation, is symlinked
> to ../bin/true, and that allows many things to work rather than
> complaining that the module can't be loaded. Linux glxgears gets roughly
> the same speed as on native host, but Linux glxinfo reports no direct
> rendering is enabled, and a number of extensions aren't reported. This
> means for basically all Linux games and most 3D apps, they get a small
> fraction of the normal speed.

> In addition, I have devfs mounted on /compat/linux/dev (also per various

I don't have it (I use the default linux_base installation),

> suggestions found), but if I run Linux glxinfo or glxgears or something

though I don't use any glx- programs.

> else that loads OpenGL several times, but keeps complaining that it can't
> enable direct rendering, it erases nvidiactl and nvidia0 from devfs. That
> also obviously disables accelerated rendering on host unless the files are
> remade.

> I haven't seen this issue before in the past, and I've been wrestling
> around with it for several weeks. I specifically waited until after the
> latest Nvidia driver release, because I thought it may have been a strange
> fault on Nvidia's part. I get a little hesitant to post to the mailing
> list when I get an issue that I haven't seen reported anywhere yet, but
> given how hard I've been trying to sort this out, I'm not even sure of any
> other direction to try to get this working correctly.

> I can't see anything about my configuration that would be affecting the way
> Linux emulation works, let alone in such a strange way.

Strange, it works for me at RELENG_7 and HEAD as well as 2.4.2 and
2.6.16...

> FreeBSD <snip> 7.0-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE #17: Fri Oct 19
> 07:04:40 PDT 2007     <snip>:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/<snip>  i386

> CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ (2188.81-MHz 686-class CPU)
>   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x20ff2  Stepping = 2
>
> Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
>   Features2=0x1<SSE3>
>   AMD Features=0xe2500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
>   AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
> real memory  = 1609498624 (1534 MB)
> avail memory = 1559240704 (1487 MB)

> nvidia0: <GeForce 6800 XT> mem
> 0xfa000000-0xfaffffff,0xd0000000-0xdfffffff,0xfb000000-0xfbffffff irq 18
> at device 0.0 on pci1
> nvidia0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
> nvidia0: [ITHREAD]

> compat.linux.oss_version: 198144