Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 20:46:47 -0500
From:      "Anthony Rubin" <jedi@enteract.com>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Current Development Branches

I know I will probably be shunned for the rest of my natural life for
suggesting this, but here goes.  How difficult would it be to change things
around a little with the development branches?  It seems there are a few
problems with 3.3-RC (including determining what RC means) and this makes it
hard in my opinion for people with production boxes to cvsup to the -STABLE
branch if they are hoping to solve problems or get the latest patches and
fixes.  I would be in favor of a -PRODUCTION branch that can never contain
code that hasn't been tested for a while.  I would also like to propose
a -BETA branch which would be -PRODUCTION with new code added.  It seems to
me that the name -STABLE is confusing many people and they seem to believe
that it isn't actually stable unless it is in the -STABLE branch when this
isn't always the case.  The only other suggestion is a possible change
of -CURRENT to
-DEVELOPMENT which would better describe what that branch is actually for.

Thanks for your time, I'm getting into my firesuit now.

Anthony Rubin
Hoffman Estates, IL
jedi@enteract.com