Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2014 13:42:15 -0700
From:      paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg config options: is this a thing?

I have been using pkg pretty exclusively since I have a hardware
failure and need to rebuild an existing FreeBSD system. It's now
running in VirtualBox on an iMac(!) and works just fine.

But I have been running into some issues with pkgs that have config
options or variables at build time that I can't or don't know how to
manage. My most recent example was installing cups and it's various
components and finding that the ssl libs to manage the web UI were not
installed or linked properly. I ended up building it all from source
to make it work properly. I was having bad flashbacks of my days with
another more well-known open source OS with it's myriad incompatible
distros and packages, which was one of the reasons I tried and have
stuck with FreeBSD since release 4.11.

If there is something I am missing please advise. If it were up to me,
I would like to see a config screen pop up, just as I see with 'make
config' and the choices made there inform the pkg I request and
install. Ideally, you don't want more libraries or binaries than you
truly need for security reasons, to say nothing of sanity. And of
course, you also want stuff to work properly.
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/