Date:      Tue, 1 Sep 1998 06:57:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Mock <jim@phrantic.phear.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   questions

Ok, I might be clueless and/or a complete moron, but I've got a few
questions about restoring files to the original/upgrading to a later
version.

Here's the deal.. I'm running 2.2.5-RELEASE, and recently the box has been
hacked.  I've managed to block out the attackers using ipfw and tcp
wrappers, but after reading some stuff on CERT's site, I started checking
the files on the machine in question with another machine and found some
differences.. here they are..

**** ls ****

[jim@phear]$ ls -la /bin/ls
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  22987 Oct 21  1997 ls

[jim@hendrix]$ ls -la /bin/ls
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  155648 Oct 21  1997 ls

**** lpd ****

[jim@phear]$ ls -la /usr/sbin/lpd
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  8984 Aug  9 11:47 /usr/sbin/lpd

[jim@hendrix]$ ls -la /usr/sbin/lpd
-r-xr-xr-x  1 bin  bin  53248 Oct 21  1997 /usr/sbin/lpd

**** ps ****
[jim@phear]$ ls -la /bin/ps
-r-xr-sr-x  1 bin  kmem  31587 Oct 21  1997 /bin/ps

[jim@hendrix]$ ls -la /bin/ps
-r-xr-sr-x  1 bin  kmem  167936 Oct 21  1997 /bin/ps

My question is this.. a) how do i go about replacing those files with the
originals without reinstalling, and b) I've got other machines running the
same release and I was wondering if I could copy the files from the other
box and replace the ones in question.  I'm not sure if that'd work or not,
so I figured I'd ask.

I'd just reinstall to 2.2.7, but I have the box at an isp in Portland that
I worked for, and I live in Australia now, so that's kind of a problem.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

| Jim Mock | Phear.Net | KidzHaven	|