Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 11:34:40 -0700
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Vinum Help

I am trying to setup vinum on my 4.3 system for the first time and need some
help as I'm not understanding this very well.  Specifically, I have 3 4.3G
drives with a 100M root partition on the first and a 192M swap partition on
the other two.  The remainder of the first drive has a second partition
mounted as /usr.  What I would really like to have to keep the 100M root
partition (only because ASFAIK one can't use vinum on root) and have a
striped 384M swap and the remainder all of the space on all of the drives as
one large striped partition mounted as /usr.  Is this possible?  Can anyone
point me to a tutorial for this type of arrangement?

My first quest is an attempt to take the free space left on da1 and da2 and
create a stripe set.  Here is my feeble attempt at a configuration file:

drive disk1 /dev/da1h
drive disk2 /dev/da2h
volume user
  plex org striped 510k
    sd length 3899m drive disk1
    sd length 3899m drive disk2

When trying to create the stripe set, I get the following error from vinum:

vinum -> create -f /path/to/vinum.conf
   1: drive disk1 /dev/da1h
** 1 Drive disk1, invalid keyword: /dev/da1h: Invalid argument
   2: drive disk2 /dev/da2h
** 2 Drive disk2, invalid keyword: /dev/da2h: Invalid argument
0 drives:
1 volumes:
V user                  State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:       7797 MB

1 plexes:
P user.p0             S State: faulty   Subdisks:     2 Size:       7797 MB

2 subdisks:
S user.p0.s0            State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:       3898 MB
S user.p0.s1            State: crashed  PO:      510 kB Size:       3898 MB

Both of these disks are identical and this is the output of disklabel:

blacklamb# disklabel da1
# /dev/da1c:
type: SCSI
disk: da1s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 9
tracks/cylinder: 64
sectors/cylinder: 576
cylinders: 14548
sectors/unit: 8380080
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  b:   393216        0      swap                        # (Cyl.    0 - 682*)
  c:  8380080        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
14548*)

In my vinum.conf file, I am using the "h" partition only because that is
what is shown in the man page examples.  What I don't understand is do I
have to somehow use disklabel to create a vinum file partition?  The
/stand/sysinstall only allows me to create a file system or swap partition.
I've tried the man page for disklabel but have failed to see how or if I can
create a vinum partition.

Thanks for your help.  As you can probably tell, this is very new to me and
I'm just not getting it yet.

Thanks,

Drew