Date:      Mon, 1 Feb 1999 09:00:23 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        yu.shi@research.nokia.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: drop packets?

> Thanks for those who gave me help.
> After reading the replies, I am still not very clear about some points.
> Why 50 pkts for an interface queue?
> 50 sounds like not enough, if  I use FreeBSD as a router.
> How many should I specify if I custmize the kernel or I use as large as
> possible??

There is not an easy answer.

First of all, you should only experience queueing if your output
link is slower (either natively, or because of congestion e.g. on
an ethernet) than the input link. If you are using ethernets on
both sides, you should not see significant queues build up unless
you are dumping from a loaded 100Mbit segment to a 10Mbit one. And
if you do, having the router dropping packets is a good thing
because it is the way end-to-end congestion control works.

Second, in general you don't want large queues (except to absorb
occasional bursts) -- they slow down
response of congestion control, cause additional delay in the delivery
of packets etc. etc.

I think you should leave this parameter as it is now until you have a
clear picture of the problems and you can figure out by yourself
what is the best setting for your situation -- and this usually
implies reducing the value quite a bit, especially with slow
interfaces.

	cheers
	luigi