Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:36:43 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        rizzo@aciri.org, lab@gta.com
Cc:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non-standard floppy formats ?

Larry Baird wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 06:02:23PM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > I think the problem is in boot1.s of boot2. Look at the function
> > > read().  The first thing is does is do an int13 call to get the
> > > BIOS configuration of the floppy.  The result that is causing
> > > you a problem is "cylinders per track" (returned in register cl).
> > > You could hardcode the code after the int13 to set register cl
> > > to your new floppy geometry.
> >
> > tried that, but it seems that the bios does not like that.  Probably
> > (at least on the system i tried) it still checks for the sector
> > number to be admissible for the geometry it knows.
> Are you familiar with the following site?
> http://www.ctyme.com/rbrown.htm

There's no simple way to reliably boot something the size of FreeBSD
from a floppy in non-standard format.  Your best approach would be
to look at something like Christoph Hochstaetter's fdformat to get
an idea of what's needed to fool BIOS into handling this stuff.

--
Robert Nordier

rnordier@nordier.com
rnordier@FreeBSD.org