Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 1996 06:50:40 +0400 (MSD)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: adjkerntz (was: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/tzsetup ...)

> As =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= wrote:
>
> > > msdosfs?  MSDOS' idea of a timezone is broken by design (i.e., it
> > > doesn't have an idea about it at all).  Someone in Australia could
> >
> > It have an idea: local time zone.
>
> But that sucks when it comes to communication with other machines in
> other timezones.

Of course, it is one of well-known DOS/Win features.
This problem usually solves into file-transfer programs (send timezone),
or in the archivers (store files under UTC or add timezone offset
to the archive).

> Well, but that's a crock.  Send a tar file over, and the contents of
> the tar file will have invalid timestamps.  Not to speak about IP
> services like FTP, and the many possibilities to have timestamps
> hidden somewhere in the archive files.

Tar isn't DOS/Win archiver, so what you expect?
Proper FTP software under DOS/Win must count timezone.

> > msdosfs use adjkerntz kernel variable to calculate local timezone
> > for DOS files, check msdosfs sources.
>
> That's a hack.  Probably the best one you can do (and note that hacks
> might often be useful, e.g. vfork() is another useful hack, or has at
> least been one in times where COW wasn't available).  What if i don't
> use msdosfs but use mtools instead?  (Like i do btw., whenever there's
> an occasion to handle a DOS floppy.  As you could guess, this is only

I don't think it is hack. It is only way to handle Local Timezone FS'es.

> rarely the case for me.)  What if i use my own package to export/
> import DOS files?  (Yes, i really wrote one as paywork years ago.  It

Your package must handle timezone in this case.

> > Proper DOS/Windows software sends timezone offset of your DOS
> > with any file times.
>
> How?  There's no commonly agreed protocol.  I cannot remember any DOS

No, each software implement its own protocol.

> installation program that would even ask for a timezone?  Despite, you

Win95 asks for timezone.
DOS have TZ environment variable (all C implmentations handle it).

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -