Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2012 21:56:45 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   contrib/jemalloc

I have the current version of jemalloc integrated into libc as =
contrib/jemalloc:

	=
http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/patches/jemalloc_20120404b.patch

This is the first update to FreeBSD's jemalloc in over two years, and =
the differences are huge (faster, better introspection, hopefully fewer =
bugs).  This has been stable for me across numerous =
buildworld/installworld iterations, as well as when running several =
benchmarks.  There's a bugfix to openpam in the patch that des says will =
be obsoleted by the next vendor import, so I'm planning to let that =
settle before committing.  In the meanwhile, I'm hoping for some review =
sanity checks on the following aspects of the patch:

* Are the symbol versioning specifications right, and are the =
compatibility symbols for _malloc_options and _malloc_message workable?

* Is it acceptable to check this in directly to trunk without using a =
vendor branch?  For the import workflow I have planned, a vendor branch =
would just be extra work with no benefit that I can see.

* Is the light editing of the jemalloc manual page sufficient?  Keeping =
the changes minimal will make regular imports less work, but the result =
is less tailored to FreeBSD.

* Will the utrace feature be missed?  I removed it some time ago, mainly =
because traces are impossibly large for most real-world use cases.

Thanks,
Jason=