Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:34:26 -0500
From:      Phillip Ryker - System Administrator <pryker@skynetweb.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IP Aliasing...

List,

I have been using the 'ifconfig' command in conjunction with the 'route'
command to add ip aliases to the ethernet interface in my freebsd box.
After experimenting a little I have found that I do not need to use the
'route' command at all for the addresses to work.

I simply use:

	ifconfig vx0 inet 208.239.248.xxx netmask 255.255.255.xxx alias

and it adds the ip numbers and the route in the kernels routing table.

My question is: Do I really need to be adding a route for each IP or can
I just simply use the 'ifconfig' command to add ip aliases?? What is the
CORRECT way of doing this?? I only ask because after going through the
e-mail archives and tutorials I have seen examples in using both.

Thank you in advance.
--
Phillip Ryker