Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 1997 18:42:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        sclawson@bottles.cs.utah.edu, ivt@gamma.ru, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: blkfree: freeling free block/frag

> >      I've been getting ``freeing free block'' panics fairly often when
> > our main server is doing a bunch of large compiles.  A couple weeks
> > ago I finally caught it in the act.  One of my compiles died and I
> > found a source file with exactly 8k of gunk, sitting nicely on an 8k
> > boundary (this was on an 8k/1k filesystem).  The interesting thing
> > about the file was it's list of direct blocks:
> >
> > 0: 179bb8
> > 1: 179bc0
> > 2: 179bc8
> > 3: 179bd0
> > 4: 179bd8
> > 5:  79be0
> > 6: 179be8
> > 7:      0
> >
> >      All nicely clustered...except for that sixth one.  At first I
> > thought that the clustering code was at fault, but disk block 79be0
> > was untouched, and the `real' disk block (179be0) had the correct data
> > for the new file.  So, the list of blocks in the inode was corrupted
> > sometime after the data blocks for the file were written.
>
> Single-bit memory error, perhaps?  Still, keep an eye on it...

If this panic'ed, you need to look at the stack.  I would prefer you look
at the stack for #5.

I do not believe this is a single bit error.  I believe this is the same
problem I have been seeing.

Does your ethernet hardware address begin with 00 00?

Look at the stack for the routines up from the routine in which it
panic'ed, and see if (and how) it might have been stomped.  There
is no such thing as random data in the kernel (I will argue the
random device with you nit-pickers, if you insist ;-)).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.