Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 19:35:08 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        phk@freebsd.org, alex@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW (mis)feature

Why doesn't ipfw(8) allow me to specify the services using the names out
of /etc/services?  I *used* to be able to specify it using the service
names, and I don't know why this is removed (but at least it's
documented).

>From the man-page:
  Service names (from
  .Pa /etc/services )
  may not be used instead of a numeric port value.
  Also, note that a range may only be specified as the first value,
  and the port list is limited to
  .Nm IP_FW_MAX_PORTS

All of the other firewall products I have allow me to use the service
names as it makes 'reading' the rules much easier.

Nate