Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:02:50 +0400
From:      rihad <rihad@mail.ru>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using Perl 5.8.8

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> rihad wrote:
>> Hi, one of the programs I'm using (freeradius' rlm_perl) segfaults
>> with both Perl 5.8.9 and 5.10, only working with 5.8.8. How can I
>> cleanly install Perl 5.8.8 on a fresh system, without mangling the
>> port Makefile? I've tried putting both USE_PERL=5.8.8 and
>> PERL_VERSION=5.8.8 in /etc/make.conf, but "make fetch" still tries to
>> fetch version 5.8.9.
>
> portdowngrade is what you'ld have to use.  However, perl-5.8.8 has known
> security vulnerabilities:
>
>    http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/4a99d61c-f23a-11dd-9f55-0030843d3802.html
>
> Would definitely be better to get your program to work with a current
> version of perl.

Thanks for pointing this out. However, portdowngrade doesn't help me much:

# portdowngrade -s:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs
lang/perl5.8

portdowngrade 0.6 by Heiner Eichmann
Please note, that nothing is changed in the ports tree
unless it is explicitly permitted in step 6!

Seeking port lang/perl5.8 ... not found
#