Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 14:58:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        pentium@cio.net (Anthony Hoelzle)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (Questions FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: named problems

In a previous message, Anthony Hoelzle said:
> ok in my named.conf, I used;
>
> zone "my.domain" {
>  type master;
>  file "db.my.domain";
> };
>
> if I change the part in the zone field would that work (zone
> "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa") or would it be best to just add another entry (zone
> "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" etc.)?

Add another one. You need both forward "my.domain" and backward "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa".

> The db.my.domain file looks a lot like your example, with the exclusion of the
> PTR lines and otherdns.domain.name because I only have one DNS server and it's
> not connected to the internet.

You want both files. the db.my.domain has the machines in that domain, that
is A records and CNAME records and anyothers you need/want (txt, mx, etc).

The db.192.168.0 file contains the PTR (pointer) records that give you the
reverse address lookup. That is linking the address back to a hostname.

> also I'm assuming that anything between /* and */ in named.conf is ignored

Those are comments like C++.

--
"When I see a nebula, all I see is a cloud of dust; when I look at
 it through your eyes, I see wonder."   --Q, ST:TNG