Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 23:10:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Vijay Ramasubramanian <ramasubr@ews.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation probs w/3.0

Hello again.

I wrote to the list on 13 October detailing my problems installing the
3.0-19981009-BETA release.

The full text of my post can be accessed with the URL below (please put
the two lines together to get the correct URL):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=355371+359877+
/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-current/19981011.freebsd-current

Briefly stated, I was always getting installation crashes around the 40th
chunk with messages that indicated FS corruption (stuff such as
ufs_dirbad, ffs_alloccg: bad map, and so on).

My hardware config is as below:

AMD K6-233 (one of the latest revisions)
Intel TX chipset motherboard w/512KB cache
64 MB SDRAM in 1 DIMM
AdvanSys ABP-940 SCSI host adapter, SCSI ID 7
IBM DCAS 2.2 GB Ultra SCSI drive, SCSI ID 0
IBM DCAS 2.2 GB Ultra SCSI drive, SCSI ID 1
Fujitsu 405 MB Fast SCSI-2 drive, SCSI ID 2
NEC 3X SCSI CD-ROM, SCSI ID 3
S3 Virge-based PCI video card
SMC EtherPower II (9432TX) PCI Ethernet card
PS/2 Logitech mouse

Well, in response to this post, I got replies from Mr. Justin Gibbs and
Mr. Mike Smith, both with the suggestions that it might be bad RAM or bad
cache.

It's neither.  I had a lifetime warranty on the DIMM, so I called Kingston
and they sent me a new module.  I swapped it in today, and tried to
install 3.0-RELEASE.  It died with the ufs_dirbad message around the same
spot as before.  I then went into the BIOS and disabled the external
cache, and set memory timings to the slowest possible.  Same thing.

I've tested and retested my HDDs for bad sectors.  Haven't seen one.

So I ask you guys, is it possible that I've hit a bug in the AdvanSys
driver, or that my host adapter is not configured properly for this
driver (queue depth, etc.)?

What do I do?  How can I track this down?  What's more frustrating than
not being able to install FreeBSD (which is *very* frustrating) is that I
don't even know where the problem lies.  Please help...

PLEASE CC replies to me personally.

Thank you.

.______
   mailto:ramasubr@ews.uiuc.edu