Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 08:14:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Yorick Hardy <yorickhardy@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pipe through ghostscript causes stdin EAGAIN error

A problem with a program I have written (which pipes information
to ghostscript) prompted me to check the following
 cat | gs -sDEVICE=ppmraw -
which gives the result from cat(as soon as a newline is entered)
 cat: stdin: Resource temporarily unavailable
(i.e. the error EAGAIN). I am using 4-STABLE, tcsh as the shell
and gs6.01. Is ghostscript at fault? In my program, ensuring
that all the standard descriptors(stdin,stdout and stderr)
were closed before the exec, solved the problem. Is there
some way that ghostscript can influence stdin when it
only has access to stderr? I tried search the ghostscript code
for an explanation, but I could not find any ioctl or fcntl
calls relating to the standard descriptors.
Thank you for any suggestions.
Yorick Hardy