Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:14:40 -0700
From:      mwood@familyradio.com
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Internal Zip drive

Hello,

I wouldn't imagine that I'm the first one to mention this, but in the
course of trying to use an internal zip drive, I discovered that
FreeBSD 4.1.1 "sees" the zip drive as afd0s4 (or at least afd0, the
s4 of course referring to the fourth partition).  I could not readily find
in any documentation any reference to afd0.  I may have missed
something, and if so, I apologize.  The way I discovered that
FreeBSD "sees" the zip drive as afd0 was that I ran dmesg, and
toward the end of the listing I saw where the zip drive was listed,
and I looked to the left to see what designation it was given.
Anyhow, I just wanted to ask that you please update your
documentation as this took a couple of hours of searching, reading,
trying this, that, and the other thing, and it was very frustrating.
And, ultimately, I was able to figure it out, but a lot of people might
not be as persistant as I was.  I am trying to evaluate FreeBSD
because a friend told me that memory management with FreeBSD
is better than with Linux.  So, I have not yet purchased a "full"
copy; I only have the "install" CD.  Maybe the documentation in the
full version covers this - I don't know - but other people may not
have the time to pursue a problem like this, and may "write-off"
FreeBSD.

F Y I . . .

Michael Wood
LAN Administrator