Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:10:54 +0000
From:      "Carlos Vicente Yepes" <cvicente@tricom.net>
To:        questions@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NIS/yp won't work

Hi.
During the last three days I've been reading all there is and
tweaking my NIS configuration, but it doesn't seem to work.
I have one server and one client, both running version 2.2.1.  I have
configured the server to run :

ypserv (no flags)
rpc.yppasswdd -t /var/yp/master.passwd -a -v -s -f
ypbind (I've tried all flags)

I have made a copy of master.passwd and passwd in /var/yp to keep the
maps separate from the original files.

The client is running ypbind (I've tried all flags too).  I've also
added the corresponding "+:*::::" to both /etc/master.passwd and
/etc/group in the client.  (in the master too)

The problem is I can't login from the client.  I made a test running
ypserv -d (debugging mode) on the master and when i try to login from
the client, the server says to receive the query and respond.  But
login won't let me in.  The same happens when I try to login in the
server with a user that is not in the /etc/master.passwd but is
indeed in the map.

I've seen some questions similar to this one in the archives, but no
answers.  I would really appreciate some help.  I'm getting
desperate!!

Carlos Vicente Yepes
cvicente@tricom.net
cvicente@ns.intec.edu.do