Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:48:15 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Magnus B{ckstr|m <b@etek.chalmers.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Understaning the files in /stand (a little long, sorry)

On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 05:16:41PM +0100, Magnus B{ckstr|m stood up and spoke:

> > I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a few hints on what I have told
> > above. Prticularely, I'm interested in the following:
> >
> > (1) What's up with this (hard link) number in front of the owner name? How
> > comes that it is 1 on one of my machines and 31 on teh others. I replcaed
> > a hard disk in the "1" machine recently and thus copied everything over to
> > a new disk, probably this has to do with the difference. However, is this
> > something to worry about?
>
> Yes, if you copied the files individually (with cp -r) each hard link got
> read and copied into an individual file.  tar(1) and dump/restore(8)
> understand hardlinks, and are thus better tools for copying entire
> filesystems.

That explains why I had so much less disk space available after the hard
disk switch than before. On the old disk there were 31 files taking up the
space of one, now the files are separate, taking up 31x as much disk space
as before. I guess this is bad.

So, any idea how to undo this? I could probably rm -R /stand on the machine
and then tar /stand on another and untar it again on the first one.
However, is there probably another way? I guess I could leave one file in
/stand around and hard link the others to it manually. If this works, is it
of any importance which file I keep around? Or can I simply delete
everything but one random file in /stand and then re-link the others to the
one remaining file? Of course, a suggestion about better method would also
be nice ;-)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany