Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 02:04:52 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: An Operating Systems Survey, of sorts...

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > I ran across QueSO today, and was so intrigued by it that I built up a
> > quick script to scan through my WWW logs, using it to determine who is
> > running what.  The script just started, so there are only just over 500
> > hosts listed so far (the log file I"m reading has 269,000 distinct IPs, do
> > it has a ways to go), but if anyone is interested in these sorts of stats,
> > check out:
>
> Look into nmap - it does a better job of identifying OS versions since it's
> based on a larger number of tests. It would be interesting to see the results
> of this, although the stats might be self-selected if, e.g., you have useful
> OS-specific pages on your site (higher number of users accessing them using
> that OS than from a random population sample).

Just looked at nmap, and...ack.  At least from the DESCR file, it
basically pounds the hell out of each host to determine the information it
requires.  I don't want to know what ports are open on each machine, nor
do I want to set off each and every intrusion detection system out there
:(

I may have missed something, but the man page doesn't seem to indicate a
way of *just* doing the fingerprinting...its an extra :(

Nice program though, tried it out on one of my hosts and the results it
gives back are quite impressive...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org