Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 05:41:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: good video card?

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Nathan Mace wrote:
> can anyone recommend a video card that has active driver development
> under freebsd? i know that nVidia has closed source drivers for linux.
> anyone know anything about this for freebsd?  what i'd really like is
> a cheap voodoo 5 card.

The 'nv' driver in XFree86 supports the NVIDIA cards in 2D mode just fine.

I and others are working with NVIDIA on the final pieces that remain an
obstacle to using their 3d drivers under FreeBSD.

As others have suggested Matrox has very good 2d products which I've
personally used with good success (using and older G200 right now.)

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |