Date:      Tue, 4 Dec 2007 09:07:45 -0600
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
Subject:   Re: MD5 Collisions...

--nextPart2696553.D45Aa6Ld8T

On Tuesday 04 December 2007 08:27:54 am Roger Marquis wrote:
> Colin Percival wrote:
> >> MD5 has not yet (2001-09-03) been broken, but sufficient attacks have
> >>      been made that its security is in some doubt.  The attacks on MD5
> >> are in the nature of finding ``collisions'' -- that is, multiple inputs
> >> which hash to the same value; it is still unlikely for an attacker to =
be
> >> able to determine the exact original input given a hash value.
> >> "
> >
> > I fail to see how the man page is incorrect here.  What do you think it
> > should be saying instead?
>
> I would drop the statement altogether since it is not accurate for MD5
> signatures of binary packages and tarballs.  At the very least define the
> specific scenarios under which MD5 can be broken and drop the "its securi=
ty
> is in some doubt" claim.  Vague statements about crypto are worse than no=
ne
> at all.

I think some of the concerns expressed here seem to be focused on one=20
particular use case of MD5.  The main place FreeBSD seems to use MD5's is i=
n=20
verifying tarballs for ports.  In this particular application MD5 + checkin=
g=20
the length of the file + SHA256 is more than enough to ensure that the=20
tarball hasn't been tampered with.  In all reality, MD5 alone is enough for=
=20
most cases, since generating meaningful collisions so far has required=20
control of the original as well.

If you wanted to get really picky, MD5-ing a file is really the wrong way t=
o=20
go about it in the first place, since there's no stopping an attacker from=
=20
replacing the tarball AND the MD5 sum on the download site together....as a=
=20
port maintainer when I update a port how do I really know the files the=20
project has published are what they intended?  Unless they are digitally=20
signed I really don't.

At any rate, there is some doubt about MD5.  Since collisions have been=20
discovered you can't make assertions about further problems being found in=
=20
it.  Perhaps someday someone will find a way to generate arbitrary=20
same-length meaningful collisions...who's to know.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB