Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:52:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        nik@iii.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2000 Compliance / dates / time libs

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997 nik@iii.co.uk wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 04:57:07AM +0000, Stephen Roome wrote:
> > But anyway, that was my assumption as well, but I've heard otherwise and
> > ensuring that FreeBSD gets the leap/non-leap year bit of 2000 correct is
> > probably quite important.
>
> The best reference I've seen for this is
>
>     http://www.southern.edu/~bnbennet/text/lycomplaint.html
>
> which purports to be a DEC internal problem report after one of their
> users complained that VMS reported 2000 as being a leap year. I have no
> idea as to it's veracity, but the information itself is accurate.

Saw this one also, but it's not as authoritative, or clear as I would
like.

Anyway, I think I've found a fairly definitive set of information on the
topic of what the date will be the day after February 28th 2000, and
assorted "why/will my computer crash" questions.

http://www.greenwich2000.com/
http://www.gmt2000.co.uk/     (couldn't connect as btnet died)

The first of these has enough information for anyone, even me.

And to cut this thread short before I get tortured and people tell me I
was trolling :

>From http://www.greenwich2000.com/millennium/year2000.htm
Judging by the large number of emails we have received it is apparent that
a very large number of people, including computer programmers, are
'confused' about the fact that there are 29 days in February 2000. When
you have your systems checked for Year 2000 Compliance please get them to
check 29 February 2000 compliance!!!!

This is nice, because all this stems from "Mr. Certified (certifiable?)
Microsoft Consultant" who sits next to me telling me it isn't and having a
good laugh at me because our 'cheap naff UNIX systems' got it wrong, or
right as I'm about to point out to him..

I'm gonna have to start running all our software as if it was 2010 though
and see what does actually break. (Windows I bet.. Muahahahah!)

	Steve.

Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342
WWW: http://dylan.visint.co.uk/