Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 1995 20:37:29 -36507155 (EST)
From:      Andrew Spray <aspray@faceng.newcastle.edu.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Handling disk translations with more than 16 heads?

         disk translations incorporating >16 heads?

Hi,

I am attempting to install FreeBSD 2.0.5 Release onto a disk
which has head/track/sector translation. My translation has
a large number of heads (>16) so that I can have some large
DOS (apologies) partitions. I believe that I am having
difficulties because of the numbers of heads. Could you
please advise me of the manuals I should be reading to
overcome this problem.

I have a degree of control over the translation, and FreeBSD
appears to install correctly with 16 heads or less (but this
limits the total apparent disk area I have available). Further,
I have written at some point to most of the disk successfully
with DOS, so the medium seems OK.

In case I am barking up the wrong tree, I include (what
appear to be) the relevant areas of debug messages.

(As you can see the geometry is 64 hds, 1024 trks, 63 secs
- ideally I would like something of the order of 123 hds,
737 trks, 46 secs (what my controller card recommends)).

BIOS: AMI (1990)
Disk controller: Longshine Electronics v 2.A1 LCS-6633(F)

DEBUG: ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
wd0: can't handle 64 heads from partition table (truncating to 16)
DEBUG: Found a device of type disk named: wd0