Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2001 21:44:14 +0100
From:      Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
To:        Peter Constantinidis <peter-c@home.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usb0/1: Host Controller Halted Errors

02/10/2001 09:41:42, Peter Constantinidis <peter-c@home.com> wrote:

>My motherboard is a Abit KA7-100 using a Via KX133 chipset  (686A).
>I have cvsuped to the latest 4.4 stable as of this writing October 2nd.
>Dmesg says it uses UHCI. I have 2 USB controllers on the mb, each with
2
>ports.
>
>On a bootup the system seems to be fine (though this problem occured
once
>during a new install).. but when I start a make install clean of some big
>program in the middle of the compiling I'll start getting error messages
>saying stuff like "USB1: Host Controller Halted", over and over and over,
>from the Kernel.
>
>The only USB devices I have hooked up to the system is a Handspring
Visor
>USB cradle, and a webcam, neither of which are working during the
compile.

>What causes this frustruating occurence?

VIA's forgot how to do USB support somewhere between the MVP3 and
the 686A - my KT7A-RAID (686B) has still-broken USB.

Getting the latest BIOS can't help - check www.viahardware.com, and in
particular http://www.viahardware.com/faq/ka7/ka7faq.htm includes a
few things which have helped some folks. I'm not sure whether there's a
universal fix though.

>Thanks,
>Peter.

Matthew