Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 1995 10:36:14 +0100
From:      "DI. Christian Gusenbauer" <cg@uhura>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, cg@FIMP01.fim.uni-linz.ac.at
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: guest account: Yggdrasil information

> > 1. We have to make configuring as easy as possible for those users, who
> >    never want to look 'behind the scenes'. There should be a way to install
> >    and configure FreeBSD for *non-experts*!
>
> Well, I think we all agree to this, what we really need to agree on is
> the *framework*.  How does this all-singing and all-dancing
> configuration environment work?  Scripts?  Some sort of TCL based
> tool?  What?  We've had a few abortive attempts at this in the past,

I know :-)

> but nothing that anybody could ever really use to build a complete
> configuration management system!

Yes and no. Half a year ago, I wrote a control panel application which works
like the Windows one and a user management utility. I posted that to the net
and about 60 people got a copy but I got only two or three responses. Yes,
that's not a complete configuration management but - in my opinion - it can
be the first step. Unfortunately, I don't have much spare time, so I can't
write the whole configuration management system by myself :-(!

> > 3. All configuration (administration) tools should look and work the same
> >    way. I myself hate to have 10 tools and 10 different ways to install these
> >    things (eg. some use a DOS program, some need MS Windows; or: look at
> >    named, inetd, nfs or even passwd, where I can configure every tool when
> >    I understand and know the correct syntax of its ascii-file: it's impossibl
>
> Framework!  Framework!  Somebody needs to write this kind of
> framework! :-)
>
> 					Jordan

Get a copy of cpl-0.1.tar.gz from our fileserver fimp01.fim.uni-linz.ac.at,
directory /pub/soft/unix! That might be a framework!

Christian.
cg@fimp01.fim.uni-linz.ac.at