Date:      4 Nov 2003 18:08:29 -0000
From:      Larry Baird <lab@gta.com>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pico and the big ash

In article <3FA7CC50.8070909@bsd.com.br> you wrote:
> Hello :)
>
> I have made a PicoBSD based on the latest 5.1-CURRENT code (w/o the
> debug stuff, sure) and i noticed that /bin/sh is considerably bigger on
> 5 when compared to RELENG_4 (had never noticed before). Is there a
> compatible sh (for the rc scripts) shell, that is smallber than the
> system's? Or, a way i can build src/bin/sh smaller, or even an
> alternative not so feature-rich ash shell that can compile on REL_5..
> Have also tried msh tinyware, but it does not build. I am not a good C
> programmer so rewriting myself the system's src/bin/sh is something i
> cannt do.
>
> Any idea/suggestions?
If you rebuild the tinyware stuff with -DOINIT_RC it will not use
an external shell, but instead use a simple built in one.  Depending
upon your shell needs this may or may not work for you.  Take a
look at /usr/src/release/picobsd/tinyware/oinit/README.

Larry

Larry Baird                        | http://www.gta.com
Global Technology Associates, Inc. | Orlando, FL
Email: lab@gta.com                 | TEL 407-380-0220, FAX 407-380-6080