Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:52:01 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        j_mini@efn.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dirty bit in page allocations.

John S. Dyson scribbled this message on Nov 30:
> Jonathan Mini said:
> >   I need to read and set the dirty bit on pages of allocated kernel memory. I
> > allocate the memory via malloc, and then export it to the userland via mmap.
> > What I need to do is clear and test the dirty bit on those pages. This way, I
> > can dump only those pages which have been modified instead of the entire set
> > of pages.
> >   What are the functions/macros/etc which will allow me to do this?
> >
> What, exactly, are you trying to do?  (I am not trying to be snotty or anything,
> but there are easy ways to do certain things, and more difficult ways :-)).  I
> might be able to help you put something together that is easy.

well... since Mini is still a sleep...  basicly he is writing code that
will use the VBE spec to interface with the video card and display
graphics...  as the spec doesn't force the card to have a linear frame
buffer he is writing code that will "simulate" a linear frame buffer
for the application..

he then needs to find out what pages in the simulated linear frame
buffer has been modified and only write those pages out to the video
card...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD