Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 12:58:32 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        haro@tk.kubota.co.jp, takawata@shidahara1.planet.sci.kobe-u.ac.jp, current@freebsd.org, acpi-jp@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI megapatch

> > Please test this; there are lots of opportunities for error in these
> > changes.  In particular, I am afraid that I may have broken I/O from AML
>
> I did test it, S1, S5 transition, PowerResource On/OFF and GPE handling
> by kernel thread, everything seems OK!
> I think nobody has objections for your commit.  I also have something to
> commit (SleepOp/StallOp, acpi_disable_events()), I'll do it after you.

Ok, thanks.  I do it in a moment.

> > bytecode.  Hopefully with this committed I can finally get to work on the
> > thermal management. 8)
>
> Cool.  On some machine, thermal management requires Embedded Controller I/O.
> Anybody working on this?

Yeah.  I just discovered that I need this.

I haven't look at how operation regions are handled, so I'm not sure how
hard it's going to be to implement the hooks necessary for this.

There is another major problem here too.

Some complete idiot in the ACPI team decided that the "right" way to
implement hysteresis for the temperature settings was to have the system
send a Notify(zone, 0x80) to the thermal zone and then have it re-parse
it's AML to discover new settings.  This means that you need to keep a
pointer to the *original* location of the AML for at least some methods
inside a thermal zone, if not the entire zone itself.

My laptop does this too.  8(

I haven't looked at the ACPICA code yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if
all the embedded controller stuff is already supported there.  How bad do
you think it's going to be to make it work?  You've already looked at the
modifications that the Linux people have made - were they just bug fixes,
or are there serious problems with the code?