Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 17:57:32 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Steve Howe' <steve.howe@lhowe.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject:   RE: English buffoon tries something technically ambitious - ie in stalling FreeBSD

Steve,

The plan is, to get enough of FreeBSD running to connect to the internet and
download what is needed to finish the installation.  Whether that be by
direct connection, ppp, etc...

You need to make these 2 floppies and boot off of them, and then follow the
instructions from there on.

Also, if you are trying to install 2.2.8 then the documentation is wrong.
2.2.8 only requires on floppy, a boot.flp.  3.x uses the 2 floppy scheme.

What I would suggest is to go to the following URL
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.8-RELEASE/floppies/README.TXT and read
those instructions.

The floppy is available at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.8-RELEASE/floppies/boot.flp
FDIMAGE is available at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.8-RELEASE/tools/fdimage.exe

If you are in windows you MUST exit from windows (read, restart in MS-DOS
mode) to make the floppy image.  It will NOT work if you do this from within
windows.

----

Now.. here's my 2 cents.  If you are doing a brand new install of FreeBSD,
why not install the latest release of FreeBSD, being at this point 3.2.  All
of the documentation relevant to 1st time installs, etc is geared toward the
newer version.

What I STRONGLY suggest doing, no matter what version you choose to install
is to go to http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html and read.  If you're
not willing to read through this then maybe you should reconsider installing
any version of UNIX.

Go luck,
-Chris