Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:14:02 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nagy_L=E1szl=F3_Zsolt?= <nagylzs@freemail.hu>
To:        Steve Franks <stevefranks@ieee.org>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easy question

Steve Franks wrote:
> I hope.  Looks like xorg remaps the arrow keys for it's own uses - how
> do I
> get command history in an xterm instead of ctrl-key like gibberish.  I'd
> like to edit, like you do in a vtty with the up-arrow, not just
> !!<enter>.
> I'm sure the answer exists, I just can't format a seach to find it on my
> own...;)
Frank, what kind of keyboard are you using? The xorg server does not
remap the arrow keys by default. However, if you have misconfigured your
keyboard, then you might not use your arrow keys. Try to look at the
documentation of xmodmap(1).

If you are not sure how to change this in xorg.conf, you can first try
to download an xmodmap file for your keyboard layout, and execute this
command:

xmodmap <filename>

Then you can try to use your arrow keys.

Another problem might be that you are using the wrong TERM environment
variable inside your xterm. Well, this is very unlikely. You can also
try this:

setenv TERM xterm-color   # c shell

set TERM=xterm-color # bash shell
export TERM