Date:      Mon, 28 May 2001 07:09:09 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: general speed differences between 4.1.1-RELEASE and 4.3-RELEASE

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> Rik van Riel wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 May 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > > So add an option to sysinstall called:
> > >
> > >       "Fast and at least as reliable as Linux"
> >
> > I doubt FreeBSD would need to enable write caching in order
> > to be as fast as Linux (which doesn't have write caching
> > enabled in any distribution I'm aware of).  ;))
>
> AFAIK, ata write caching is enabled by default by the hardware
> manufacturers. This was not the case originally, but benchmarks spoke
> louder.

Hmmm, true.  I've even heard that you cannot switch it
off on some drives, or even stranger, drives that allow
you to turn it off but automatically switch it on again
under heavy load...

As Andre Hedrick says  "storage is a lie".

regards,

Rik

http://www.surriel.com/		http://distro.conectiva.com/

Send all your spam to aardvark@nl.linux.org (spam digging piggy)