Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:50:12 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>, Burton Sampley <bsmply@gmail.com>, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to access a FTDI usb device with a custom vendor and product id's

On Tue, 2015-11-10 at 17:40 +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 11/10/15 17:28, Burton Sampley wrote:
> > SYSFS{idVendor}=="2100", SYSFS{idProduct}=="9e56",
> > RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -q
> > ftdi_sio vendor=0x2100 product=0x9e56"
> >
> > How do I accomplish the same in FreeBSD?  When the cable is plugged
> > in, I
> > get the following in /var/log/messages:
>
> Hi,
>
> See examples here:
>
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/multimedia/webcamd/files/webcam
> d.conf.in?view=markup
>
> --HPS

But the info in those examples won't cause the uftdi driver to attach
to the device (as shown in the linux-based example), that can only
happen if the vid/pid are added to the table in the driver itself,
right?  I don't remember any mechanism in our usb world for forcing a
driver to attach to a device that isn't compiled into the driver's
usb_device_id array.

On the other hand, if the device is going to be accessed via libusb
and/or libftdi, I'm not sure the tty driver needs to attach to it at
all; don't those libraries work purely through the ugen device?

-- Ian