Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2002 00:26:55 -0600
From:      Vikram Kulkarni <vkulkarn@brownforces.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multiple defaultrouter

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 05:15:34PM +1100, Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> But what does it do then?  Does it send every other packet to the
> other gateway or is it saving the second one in case the first one
> dies?

They're prioritized I believe... if it cant reach the first one, then it
tries the second one...

Its also required by RFC 1122:

Network Working Group                    Internet Engineering Task Force
Request for Comments: 1122                             R. Braden, Editor
                                                            October 1989

        Requirements for Internet Hosts -- Communication Layers

Status of This Memo

   This RFC is an official specification for the Internet community.  It
   incorporates by reference, amends, corrects, and supplements the
   primary protocol standards documents relating to hosts.  Distribution
   of this document is unlimited.

Summary

   This is one RFC of a pair that defines and discusses the requirements
   for Internet host software.  This RFC covers the communications
   protocol layers: link layer, IP layer, and transport layer; its
   companion RFC-1123 covers the application and support protocols.

(Quote from the bottom of page 48 and top of page 49 of RFC1122, section
3.3.1.2)

     When there is no route cache entry for the destination host
     address (and the destination is not on the connected
     network), the IP layer MUST pick a gateway from its list of
     "default" gateways.  The IP layer MUST support multiple
     default gateways.

(or from the table on page 74 (column headers from page 72) of the same
RFC)

                                                 |        | | | |S| |
                                                 |        | | | |H| |F
                                                 |        | | | |O|M|o
                                                 |        | |S| |U|U|o
                                                 |        | |H| |L|S|t
                                                 |        |M|O| |D|T|n
                                                 |        |U|U|M| | |o
                                                 |        |S|L|A|N|N|t
                                                 |        |T|D|Y|O|O|t
FEATURE                                          |SECTION | | | |T|T|e
 OUTING OUTBOUND DATAGRAMS:                      |        | | | | | |
  If no cache entry, use default gateway         |3.3.1.2 |x| | | | |
    Support multiple default gateways            |3.3.1.2 |x| | | | |

-Vik

--
vikram kulkarni           All states are abstractions.
vkulkarn@uiuc.edu              -Octun Politicus