Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 00:09:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Trevor Osatchuk <Trevor.Osatchuk@pscl.com>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Subject:   RE: second pccard slot not working

This is more or less just my two cents on the issue of the second slot on
the pcmcia controller not working, not any kind of resolution or anything.

I have a IBM ThinkPad 560E with a Cirrus Logic PD6729 chipset.  This
laptop contains a single controller with two slots, not two controllers,
which got me kind of confused at first as well.  My kernel just contains
the lines straight from GENERIC.  This is the output from dmesg:

pcic0: <Cirrus Logic PD6729/6730 PC-Card Controller> port 0x3e0-0x3e3 \
        irq 0 at device 19.0 on pci0
ID is 0x82
ID is 0x82
pcic0: Polling mode
pccard0: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus (classic)> on pcic0

It is seeing two slots (pccard0, pccard1), and first/top slot (slot 0)
works, but the second/bottom slot (slot 1) does not.

Obviously a lot of changes are being done on the pcic driver now and some
things are occasionally broken. :)  I did a cvsup last week, November 3rd,
and this is when the problem appeared.  My previous cvsup sometime in the
first week of September, it still worked, so something has been done
recently. :)  This issue might of even been fixed already, and as far as I
know it only affects the Cirrus Logic chipsets, but this is just my
speculation from browsing the list.

Also from looking through the archives I recall Warner mentioning that you
SHOULD be able to just use older files from /usr/src/sys/pccard/ and have
it function properly.  I think he specified certain .c and .h files, but I
can't be for sure about anything.  He would know better. :)

If your in a scenario where you require both slots, I would suggest using
4.3-RELEASE or a 4.4-STABLE from September (or October?).  Fortunately I
just use this laptop for playing on, so I'm not too concerned with it
personally, as I'm sure it's temperamental.

A note to Warner, if you want a guinea pig for this chipset, I'm around.
:)